Adapted services department
MISSION OF THE ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Give students the opportunity to be as functional as possible, and to build their sense of responsibility and autonomy.
MANDATES OF THE ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT
The Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles offers students with functional disabilities helpful measures adapted to their needs to foster their integration and help them succeed in their studies.
Any individual with impairment, whether it be:
- physical (cerebral palsy, spina bifida, etc.);
- sensorial (hearing impairment, visual impairment, etc.);
- neurological (ASD, Asperger syndrome, dysphasia, etc.);
- organic (cancer, diabetes, etc.);
- a learning disorder (dyslexia, dysorthographia, dyscalculia, ADD/ADHD).
Any individual with:
- a mental health problem (anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorder, mood disorder, etc.)
Any individual with:
- a temporary incapacity (injury, etc.).
- awareness raising for teachers;
- note taking;
- additional time for exams;
- sitting for exams in a room other than the classroom;
- adapted schedule;
- peer helper;
- material in Braille;
- audio material;
- adapted equipment;
- grammar-correcting software;
- adapted locker;
- assistance with holding items: homework, meals, tutoring, etc.;
- adapted courses;
- adapted physical education;
- educational support (assisted by a special education technician: development of learning strategies; examples include time and calendar management strategies, stress management strategies, study strategies, etc.).
APPLICATION FOR ADAPTED SERVICES
First of all, you must have in hand a medical note issued by a Québec professional recognised in Bill 21 (doctor, psychologist, speech therapist, neuropsychologist, optometrist, audiologist, etc.) stating your diagnosis. If you have a diagnosis but you do not have a written report, have this form completed by the professional who made your diagnosis.
It is important to point out that the report must confirm the diagnosis. A hypothetical diagnosis will not be accepted.
Then, to schedule an appointment, complete this form and send it to the person in charge at your campus. You will find this individual’s contact information below. During the meeting, your needs will be assessed to determine what accommodations, if any, will be provided to address your needs.
ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT STAFF
Julie Labbé, special education technician
Room 122, ext. 1441
Annie Léonard, special education technician
Room 207A, ext. 7265
MADGALEN ISLANDS CAMPUS
Laurence Arseneau-Forest, special education technician
Secretariat 25, ext. 6227
ÉCOLE DES PÊCHES ET DE L'AQUACULTURE DU QUÉBEC
Alexandra Méthot-Coffie, special education technician
Room 200, ext. 4109
Catherine Savage, adapted services advisor
Room 122, ext. 1374
The Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles has an in-house financial assistance office to serve the student clientele at all of its campuses. The person in charge at each office can assist students by phone, MOI or video conference call.
Each campus has video conferencing equipment the students can use to speak confidentially with the institution’s financial assistance manager.
Students can contact one of the following people to set up an appointment or obtain financial assistance:
Room et extension number (#)
L-107 - #1365
L-210 - #4111
900005 College courses
001600 VTT courses
L-207 - #7254
L-109 - #6325
The CÉGEPGIM institutional student financial assistance manager
- Informs and assists students in their efforts to obtain financial support via the loans and bursaries program. She mainly uses the Omnivox portal as a communication tool. It is very much in the students' interest to use the documents and files section of the Financial Aid/ Loans and bursaries/ Accident Insurance community.
- Informs students about the loans and bursaries program’s eligibility requirements;
- Evaluates financial assistance;
- Helps students when the time comes to:
Complete their financial assistance applications and various other forms,
Identify their student category and provide them with evidence of their status as independent
Transmit the documents in their files,
- Assists parents – spouses – sponsors when the time comes for them to complete their declarations;
- Provides information about some expenses for which claims need to be presented to the student financial assistance office (expenses for the purchase of visual aids, medical costs, expenses associated with the lack of public transit, required short-term internships)
- Provides information about programs, measures, and rights that can be obtained at the student financial assistance office (repayment, deferred payment plan, loan remission program, Explore program, appeals and remedies.)
- Informs students about the various bursaries they can apply for via the Omnivox portal (financial assistance community) or the College website.
Student financial assistance department : QUÉBEC OFFICE 1 877 643-3750
The Gaspé Campus has audiovisual equipment that students can borrow for their academic assignments or extracurricular activities. The material is lent out for three days to students who present their student ID numbers.
- Digital video cameras
- Digital photo cameras
- Digital recorders
- Stereo sound systems
- Cassette recorders
- Computer speakers
- Portable monitors
- Multimedia projectors
- Slide projectors
- Network cables
- Multiple-socket power bars
- Extension cords
- Wooden easels
- Portable booths
- Flip charts
To contact the equipment loan department
418-368-2201, ext. 1401
Room R-27 E
From 7:30 am to 4 pm
A place for students from all cultures to engage in dialogue and exchange ideas. The group organizes numerous activities to increase awareness within the college community about the richness of multiculturalism, including exhibitions, tastings of traditional foods from around the world and kiosks presenting information on global traditions. the Intercultural Group is an excellent place to introduce you to other cultures and meet students form all over the globe.
Located on the College premises, the COOP is the place to get your required course notes and school goods. It also sells a variety of stationery and computer materials and has a bookstore section featuring reading material of interest not only for your classes but also for your personal enjoyment.
Check out their website!