By-Law 9 - Establishing certain conditions of student life at the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles
Adapted services department
MISSION OF THE ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Give students the opportunity to be as functional as possible, and to build their sense of responsibility and autonomy.
MANDATES OF THE ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT
The Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles offers students with functional disabilities helpful measures adapted to their needs to foster their integration and help them succeed in their studies.
Any individual with impairment, whether it be:
- physical (cerebral palsy, spina bifida, etc.);
- sensorial (hearing impairment, visual impairment, etc.);
- neurological (ASD, Asperger syndrome, dysphasia, etc.);
- organic (cancer, diabetes, etc.);
- a learning disorder (dyslexia, dysorthographia, dyscalculia, ADD/ADHD).
Any individual with:
- a mental health problem (anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorder, mood disorder, etc.)
Any individual with:
- a temporary incapacity (injury, etc.).
- awareness raising for teachers;
- note taking;
- additional time for exams;
- sitting for exams in a room other than the classroom;
- adapted schedule;
- peer helper;
- material in Braille;
- audio material;
- adapted equipment;
- grammar-correcting software;
- adapted locker;
- assistance with holding items: homework, meals, tutoring, etc.;
- adapted courses;
- adapted physical education;
- educational support (assisted by a special education technician: development of learning strategies; examples include time and calendar management strategies, stress management strategies, study strategies, etc.).
APPLICATION FOR ADAPTED SERVICES
First of all, you must have in hand a medical note issued by a Québec professional recognised in Bill 21 (doctor, psychologist, speech therapist, neuropsychologist, optometrist, audiologist, etc.) stating your diagnosis. If you have a diagnosis but you do not have a written report, have this form completed by the professional who made your diagnosis.
It is important to point out that the report must confirm the diagnosis. A hypothetical diagnosis will not be accepted.
Then, to schedule an appointment, complete this form and send it to the person in charge at your campus. You will find this individual’s contact information below. During the meeting, your needs will be assessed to determine what accommodations, if any, will be provided to address your needs.
ADAPTED SERVICES DEPARTMENT STAFF
Julie Labbé, special education technician
Room 122, ext. 1441
Annie Léonard, special education technician
Room 207A, ext. 7265
MADGALEN ISLANDS CAMPUS
Laurence Arseneau-Forest, special education technician
Secretariat 25, ext. 6227
ÉCOLE DES PÊCHES ET DE L'AQUACULTURE DU QUÉBEC
Alexandra Méthot-Coffie, special education technician
Room 200, ext. 4109
Catherine Savage, adapted services advisor
Room 122, ext. 1374
A place for students from all cultures to engage in dialogue and exchange ideas. The group organizes numerous activities to increase awareness within the college community about the richness of multiculturalism, including exhibitions, tastings of traditional foods from around the world and kiosks presenting information on global traditions. the Intercultural Group is an excellent place to introduce you to other cultures and meet students form all over the globe.
The Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles has an in-house financial assistance office to serve the student clientele at all of its campuses. The person in charge at each office can assist students by phone, MOI or video conference call.
Each campus has video conferencing equipment the students can use to speak confidentially with the institution’s financial assistance manager.
Students can contact one of the following people to set up an appointment or obtain financial assistance:
900005 College courses
001600 VTT courses
The CÉGEPGIM institutional student financial assistance manager
- Informs and assists students in their efforts to obtain financial support via the loans and bursaries program.
- Informs students about the loans and bursaries program’s eligibility requirements;
- Evaluates financial assistance;
- Helps students when the time comes to:
Complete their financial assistance applications and various other forms,
Identify their student category and provide them with evidence of their status as independent
Transmit the documents in their files,
- Assists parents – spouses – sponsors when the time comes for them to complete their declarations;
- Provides information about some expenses for which claims need to be presented to the student financial assistance office (expenses for the purchase of visual aids, medical costs, expenses associated with the lack of public transit, required short-term internships)
- Provides information about programs, measures, and rights that can be obtained at the student financial assistance office (repayment, deferred payment plan, loan remission program, Explore program, appeals and remedies.)
- Informs students about the various bursaries they can apply for via the Omnivox portal (financial assistance community) or the College website.
Student financial assistance department : QUÉBEC OFFICE 1 877 643-3750
Student for a day
The student-for-a-day activity is OVER for the WINTER 2018 term.
We can continue to answer your questions if you complete the registration form.
The next registration period will begin in September 2018.
The Student for a day option gives you a chance to be a part of a typical day at the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Iles. You will have the opportunity to meet our staff, learn about our programs and experience our quality education. You can take part in a guided tour of the campus of your choice, speak with students and teachers and meet the other people involved in your studies, including academic advisors and program coordinators. Check out a class schedule for an idea of what the day holds for you!
Sign up by September26th to reserve your day between October27th. We do accept requests for other dates if the student is unable to attend in the given time frame.
Check out the typical class schedule for an idea of what the day holds in store for you!
If you are not yet18, one of your parents or your legal guardian will have to fill out the parental authorisation form and you will have to send it to us by clicking the Choose a file button.